Thursday, October 25, 2012

The Night Bus

It was a dark morning, before the time change, and I had arrived early at the train station for a change. It's always nice not to have to run from the parking lot to the train platform.

This particular morning I decided to back into a parking space rather than pulling forward. I had grown tired of returning to my car each evening to find a windshield covered in tree sap and bird poo. So I thought that by facing the opposite direction that I could perhaps avoid the 5-minute window washing that ensued each afternoon before I could leave.

The parking lot is narrow so there isn't much maneuvering room for pulling into parking spaces. Knowing this, I opted to shoot for a spot by itself, several cars away from the nearest parked vehicle. So imagine my complete and total surprise when I felt and heard a crash!

I am a very safe driver. I can count on one hand, no joke, the number of times I've been in a fender bender and this is the only one that is solidly my fault. I swear to you that there is NO possible way that I could have hit that car unless one of our vehicles pulled a move like the Night Bus in Harry Potter!!! I still contend that that car jumped over and in my path because I can't figure out how I managed it!

Even more surprising was the fact that my parking assist alert did not sound like it usually does when I'm near an object.it usually starts squawking before I'm anywhere near hitting something! And yes, I do have a backup camera and a large display in the dash, but I find it very disorienting so I don't often use it. Needless to say, I will force myself to use it henceforth!!

On the upside, damage was superficial to both cars and I have not had to make an insurance claim for repairs to either vehicle. So all's well that ends well, I guess.

No comments: