Wednesday, August 01, 2012

And So It Begins...

Today, I dropped off my sweet boy for his first day of school. I didn't anticipate such a wide range of emotions with this milestone. Then again, there are lots of feelings I hadn't anticipated on this journey and, yet, there they are. MT is such a joy to be around now that he's smiling and cooing and giggling at us. His little personality is really beginning to show, and I must admit that it's hard to leave him any day - let alone on work days.

We've been blessed to have very active grandparents. Both Derek and I had special relationships with our grandparents when we were growing up, and we're so tickled that MT will get to make these special memories, as well. Derek's mom got us through a lot of those tough days in the first few months and my mom allowed us to keep the squirt at home for an additional 4 weeks after I returned to work part-time.

Today I've turned him over to a new group of special caretakers. His teachers are all very sweet ladies and have made every effort to make the transition a smooth one. Everyone at the school has gushed over him, which does a lot to put a new parent at ease when even the administrators take such an active roll in each child's day. So already, he has quite the reputation for being a cutie. (Of course, they haven't seen one of his famous fits yet either. LOL!)

I'm sure it comes as no surprise to most of you that I made a manual to give to his teachers so they know all of his little quirks and how to calm and soothe him. Oh yes, yes, I did. (And it was darn cute, if I do say so myself!) I dropped it off, along with his basic supplies and a few momentos from home to hang in his crib (like scrapbook pages with pictures of us and a nametag for his bed since he won't have one yet), on Monday. The teachers said they appreciated it. Was that true? Fairly likely. Because funny thing, this morning, the desk attendant went on & on about how neat that manual is. Apparently, everyone has seen it. "I've been in this business 20 years, and I've never seen anything like it! Did you get the idea from somewhere or come up with it on your own? ... You should patent it!" So, yeah, my OCDness is already showing/making an impression but at least it's being met with enthusiasm.

I'll certainly miss getting photos like this one with cute little "Hi, Mom" messages throughout the work day. The school encourages you to call if you want to check in. Maybe I can keep it to just one call today.

No comments: