Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Knowing What to Say

I don't know about you, but I've been known to have the What the Hell Do I Say to THAT problem, especially lately. I don't recall always having this ineptitude for comforting social interaction, but apparently, the older I've gotten the more awkward these situations have become for me. Am I losing touch with my softer side? Or have I just forgotten how to be a real friend to someone?

Lately, it seems like my go-to response to bad news is "I'm sorry. I'll be thinking of you." Seems so ... I don't know, COLD or something. Not that I don't mean that I'm really sorry for whatever has happened or that I'm not really thinking of the person as they deal with whatever bit of bad news they're facing. But seriously, people, surely I can formulate a better array of go-to responses that aren't so .... cliche?!

So I'm throwin' it out to you, interwebs, what do YOU do or say to comfort your friends in their times of need?

3 comments:

gayla said...

I think that's a tough one, too. I think maybe just listening is good enough? In some situations, I think that's the best we can do...??? Miss you girl!!

Aggie99 said...

Oh goodness, you know I'm the Queen of Awk when it comes to this. I end up saying something totally generic, followed by some weird facial expression that clearly says "I have NO CLUE how to help right now" and then a shoulder shrug and off I go. Worst.

You also know I'm much better with the email. I've always been better with writing something "meaningful" because it gives me a chance to really think about what I want to convey and I can backspace to my heart's content.

At the end of the day, I think anything you say is appreciated. So don't be too hard on yourself!

Susan said...

I just read this on another blog I follow:

I wish I could do more for her than "just" pray, but sometimes praying is the most important thing we can do. Sometimes I forget that.
-Dawn McVey


What an excellent reminder that even though our words of comfort may fail us, prayer never does! Amen!