Friday, March 25, 2011

Things: Installment 61

I recently tagged along on one of Derek's business trips. This one happened to be to Fort Lauderdale. It was eventful(ish) so I thought it worthy of a Things post.

Things About the Fort Lauderdale Trip
  • Sometimes it's worth the extra price on airfare to AVOID red-eye flights. My flight left DFW at 6:25 a.m., which meant that I had to be to the airport for oh-dark-thirty which meant that I had to leave my house at the butt crack. The roosters weren't even up yet!
  • My friend/business partner Whitney (hey, girl) was kind enough to not only house sit but to volunteer to take me to the airport for said red-eye flight. What. a. saint!
  • When traveling during spring break season, it is wise to pay the extra $9 for the Priority Upgrade. For one, you get on the plane first. For two, you are guaranteed a space in the overhead for your one and only bag. Otherwise ... womp-womp ... you have to check said carry-on at the gate and then go to baggage claim at the airport rather than straight to your taxi!
  • On the upside, because I took the early flight, I dodged the crazy weather in Fort Lauderdale and was tucked snug-as-a-bug in my hotel room when the hurricane-like wind and rain pelted and whirled outside the sliding glass door of my hotel room.
  • On the downside, room service was TOO busy to answer the phone during said storm. I guess everyone else was hungry and avoiding going outside, too.
  • Staying at a hotel with a private beach during the beginning of the spring break season is GENIUS! The beach was never ridiculously crowded. There were plenty of chairs, plenty of umbrellas, and plenty of cold beverages. Just the way I like it!
  • Downside to only taking one form of entertainment to the beach: iPads overheat in direct sunlight. I thought I was going to be smart and catch up on the 800+ posts in my Google Reader. WRONG! I got about 30 min. of surfing in before it shut down and gave me the finger. "Too hot. Try again later." It took a good hour for that puppy to cool down enough for me to be able to turn it back on. I opted to leave it playing some tunes in the shade rather than entertaining me on the sunny beach chair. Whatever, dude.
  • The seafood was amazing!
  • Most of the restaurants we visited actually knew what I was talking about when I quizzed them about gluten-free menu items. And many were more than happy to talk to the chef for me.
  • Traveling with doctors is like traveling with movie stars. They don't give a rats @$$ about anyone but themselves!!!! So note to self: eat where YOU want to and make your own travel itinerary rather than syncing up return flights with everybody else.
  • Traveling with a gimp has its privileges - hello priority boarding for the spouse!
  • It wasn't the most ideal time to travel. I had just returned from tending to the patient after his knee surgery. But I sure as hell wasn't going to let him travel by himself while he was still barely hobbling around. (Thanks, doc, for telling him that he could do whatever he felt up to doing!) All in all, it was a nice trip. Gimp was basically ungimpy by the time we came home.
  • SPF5000 works in Florida too! *grin*

No comments: