Thursday, September 02, 2010

Catching Up

I intended to write several posts ... over the weekend, earlier this week, yesterday. But, well, I just didn't. So there. Here's what's been going on, for those of you who have any interest. And if you don't have any interest in the sordid (boring) details of our lives, you should just click "mark as read" and move on. ha!

I took a coupla days off the end of last week. It was super quiet at the office, and I knew that this week would be crazy since we closed out FY09-10. Plus, Friday was a holiday (thanks to good ol' LBJ) so I didn't have to take personal time for that day. What did I do with my time off? Well, I'd like to tell you that I did something exciting, but I don't think cleaning out the home office counts. (However, cleaning out the home office did provide some good blog fodder, so come back tomorrow to check that out.)

I spent Thursday afternoon, all day Friday, and part of Saturday morning working in there. While I didn't get the home office put back together, I made HUGE progress. Like ... the closet is finally empty! (And if any of you had seen what the closet looked like before, you'd give me a big ol' pat on the back for gettin' that thing empty!) I managed to move a big four-drawer filing cabinet from the garage & get it in the closet ... all by myself. Gotta love the invention of the appliance dolly! And now said filing cabinet is beginning to fill with all of the stuff I intend to keep, like Derek's work stuff, tax returns, manuals (for everything under the sun ... yes, I'm weird like that & keep them all ... hey, you never know when you might need one), etc. etc. etc.

In the process of the office clean-up, I filled three big polycarts w/ junk. Plus, we filled the back of the truck with empty boxes (not all of which came out of the office but a good portion did) and made a run to the recycle center. Which, by the way, was an adventure in itself. City of Garland, do me a favor - empty your dang recycle bins once in a while! Lordy but that was ri. di. cu. lous!!

Now that the closet is finally empty and I've sorted through all but two of the boxes that we'd stashed away in there (some, I'm ashamed to say, had not seen the light of day since we moved into the house ... wait for it ... in 2003!!!! Sheesh!), I'm well more than halfway to a useable home office again. Oh blessed day, how I long to greet thee!

The rest of the weekend went by in a blur. We went boating with some friends on Saturday afternoon and then had them over for dinner & football. (Ugh. The Cowboys are suckin' this year! I think I'm gonna have to find a way to keep up with my Packers instead.) Sunday was the first full rehearsal for the show, and it went smashingly well. I can't tell you how excited I am! Wickedly good talent, if I do say so myself. It's gonna be a must-see. Really. So make your plans to come see it. Have I mentioned there will be dancing?? Choreographed by my friend??

Last night ushered in the new year for children's choirs. Oy! It's gonna be a challenging year. While I have quite a few 2nd graders to be good leaders, I have equally as many kindergartners. Very young kindergartners. Which means that I hold their attention for ... oh ... about 10 seconds. So that drastically alters how I'll conduct rehearsals this year. I'm still working out the finer details, but I can tell you that it's definitely gonna take My Thinking Cap to figure out how to keep us on track.

And that, my friends, sums up another exciting week.

/exceedinglyboringpostaboutthenothingnessofourlives

No comments: