Things In the News (Celiac Awareness Month)
- The National Restaurant Association met this week. For the second year in a row, they have done special sessions on celiac disease and gluten sensitivity. As a general rule, the NRA (not to be confused with The NRA) does not allow special interest topics to be repeated, but they felt that the need to educate the restaurant industry about the growing concerns for those with food allergies outweighed their long-standing No Repeats Rule. The Celiac Chics have a great post about the special panel discussion. It's clear that the NRA is taking this seriously. (And it's about time!!!)
- USA Today had a special insert several weeks ago. This 16-page insert gives the general public a (very) brief overview of celiac disease and all of its ramifications - from general health to eating out to coping - and even highlights a few celebs with the disease.
- Did you know that many of the pro athletes affected by gluten sensitivities have banded together, in conjunction with the National Foundation for Celiac Awareness, to form Athletes for Awareness?
- Did you know that many sports venues are now accomodating those with food allergies by having dedicated vendor locations for allergen-free food?
- There are a number of celebrities who are raising awareness, including Elizabeth Hasselbeck (The View), Keith Olbermann (MSNBC), Sarah Jane Smith (LPGA), and AJ Clemens (USSA).