Friday, April 30, 2010

Things: Installment 40

Since I've been busy this week preparing for performances this weekend, I thought it would be fun to give you an idea of how I got started with them in the first place. Enjoy!

Things About Northeast Texas Choral Society
  • NETCS is the dream child of director Carol Allen, who is the mother of one of my dearest high school classmates/friends.
  • Choral Society was formed in the summer 1998.
  • Their first "gig" was singing at a function for Gov. George W. Bush in July 1998.
  • NETCS began with a little less than 100 singers and today is over 120 singers strong.
  • Choral Society gives a series of two concerts a year to sold-out crowds.
  • I first auditioned in the early parts of 1999 and continued to sing with the group even after I moved to Dallas. It wasn't until I married and moved to Valley Ranch that I decided the drive was too much to handle on a weekly basis.
  • Carol has asked me back on several occasions to make solo concert appearances, and it's always an honor to sing with this group of talented singers. And I would like to thank Carol and all of the members of NETCS for yet another opportunity to sing with them.
  • This weekend Choral Society presents Walk By Faith, a moving compilation of songs about our spiritual journey. The audience will hear many favorites like "Shut De Do," "Jacob's Ladder," "Precious Lord," and "Come Thou Fount."
  • I have the privilege of opening this weekend's concerts with a beautiful Mark Hayes arrangement of The Prayer of St. Francis.
  • Performance information:
    • First Methodist Church, Sulphur Springs (Map)
    • May 1 - 7 p.m.
    • May 2 - 2 p.m. & 6 p.m.
    • Tickets: $10 adults / $5 children (903-885-2185)
    • Read the local review

No comments: