Sunday, April 04, 2010

I Will Survive

That's what I kept telling myself this last week as I ran my hiney off singing. I've said this before, but I will say it again:  Holy Week is both a joy and curse for a church musician! There's not a single one of us who isn't thrilled when it's over. But there's also not a single one of us who won't say in the end that it's one of the most memorable & moving weeks in the entire liturgical year.

The Durufle Requiem was simply fantastic and really brought Good Friday into a whole new light. A triumphal entry into Jerusalem, a plea for salvation, death. It brings the story to life in a completely different way. And then Easter Sunday we rejoice w/ brass and organ and choirs of angels. It was a fantastic three days of music!

And when it was all said and done and everything fell silent, I crashed. On weeks like this, I don't do much of anything other than sing. No cleaning. No laundry. No cooking. And, of course, when weeks like this are over, I'm spent and usually take an entire day or two to recover. This afternoon I enjoyed sitting around in my pjs watching tv before having a tasty steak dinner. It was some of the best relaxing I've done all week.

Poor Derek also had to work this past weekend. It wasn't crazy-busy, but it was certainly a steady stream of cases all weekend long. Honestly, his last week was just as busy as mine. We're both spent!

Now it's on to bigger & better things. I'm preparing for a concert appearance in May and am making long drives for rehearsals. My kids are preparing for their spring musical, and we're now in the critical portion of staging which means extra rehearsal time. Sometimes I feel like I'm herding squirrels. Have you ever tried herding squirrels? It's nye to impossible! Anybody know a Squirrel Whisperer?!

But the best part is that the days are longer, the flowers are blooming, and spring weather seems to be here to stay! I don't know about you but it's hard to be anything but happy when everything comes to life again!

No comments: