Tuesday, January 05, 2010

2009: A Year in Reflection

So Tessie posted this fun Q&A taking a look back on 2009 and challenged us to post our own Q&A. And I thought, sure, why not?!

What did you do in 2009 that you'd never done before?
Threw a baby shower. Exciting, right? Actually, the shower was pretty fun, even the mommy-to-be thought so.

Did you keep your New Years Resolutions, and will you make more?
You are referring to the grand list from 2008? Um. Yeah. Well, I'm still working off the list from 08 so thanks for rubbing that in.

What would you like to have in 2010 that you didn't have in 2009?
The ability to say NO when I mean NO. I'm much too easily convinced to do things that I know aren't in the best interest of myself or others. In other words, I'm an easy victim to a hard sell. So yeah. No more of that!

What dates from 2009 will be etched on your memory, and why?
February 12, 2009: Derek found out he had cancer. February 17, 2009: Derek had surgery. February 26, 2009: the first round of post-op test results look good. March 4, 2009: Derek has no detectable cancer. November 4, 2009: I'm an aunt.

What was your biggest achievement this year?
I passed my work evaluation with flying colors, and, as a result, got a 10% raise! Woot!

What was your biggest failure?
I certainly didn't reach the savings goal I had in mind for us last year. And I had an epic fail in the clean-up-the-potty-mouth dept. And I probably got worse, if it's possible, at returning phone calls. So. Yeah. Plenty of things to improve upon.

Did you suffer illness or injury?
Just the usual injuries associated with a klutz.

What was the best thing you bought?
Aside from the washer and dryer, hands down it has to be the membership to LA Fitness+Personal Training. I feel better. I'm starting to look better. Can't beat that!

Whose behavior merited celebration?
It certainly wasn't mine. But I can definitely brag on Derek a little. He's learned to stand up for himself and be more assertive in all kinds of situations. It's amazing what happens when people know where you stand, huh babe?!

Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
Ugh, mine, of course. Second verse, same as the first. (Yeah, sadly, I agree, Tess.)

Where did most of your money go?
I'm not sure I really want to look into this too much. But if I had to guess, I would say food & misc. junk. We did some improvements on the house/upgraded older stuff. And we gave a little here & there. But I would feel pretty safe saying that we ate/entertained most of it.

What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Like Tessie, I'm not sure that I can think of anything that would warrant three reallys. BUT I was pretty excited for Derek went he doubled his monthly sales record & closed that big sale in November. Way to go!

What song will always remind you of 2009?
Hmmm. I can't think of any one song in particular. But I probably played The Killers more than anything else.

Compared to this time last year, are you 1)happier/sadder 2)thinner/fatter 3) richer/poorer?
1) Happier. 09 was a year of reflection on what really mattered. And I let go a lot of what didn't. 2) Neither. Basically, I weigh the same but things have rearranged. And I'm fine with that. I plan to make a more consorted effort to eat better this year, but I don't much care whether that equates to weight loss as long as I feel better and look better. 3) Richer. Certainly in friends & friendship. They got us through some really rough patches this year. And monetarily, we're better off too. Derek kicked ass this year, and while I didn't meet the personal savings goal, that does not negate the fact that we put quite a hefty chunk aside and I upped our retirement contributions.

What do you wish you'd done more of?
Practicing and scrapbooking. I'm just not that great at being self-disciplined. I know that if I practiced more I would be 1000 times better. Yet, I'm not too bad without it which makes it hard to be motivated to be better, if that makes any sense. As far as the scrapbooking goes, my personal goal for the last several years has been to get all caught up on our travel albums, and I continue to fail at epic levels. BUT it's back on the list this year and I'm thoroughly motivated for the moment.

What do you wish you'd done less of?
Complaining. I want to be more positive in 2010.

How did you spend Christmas?
With friends and family. And it was the best Christmas I can remember having!

Did you fall in love in 2009?
I did. With my sweet nephew Oliver.

What was your favorite TV program?
It really is hard to narrow it to just one. So I'll give you my top three: Grey's Anatomy, Fringe, NCIS.

So ... what about you? Anyone brave enough to fill out their own little Q&A? I'd love to see what you thought of '09.

3 comments:

Aggie99 said...

I didn't know mine was the first baby shower! Yes, it was quite spectacular. :)

But I'm not sure we can remain friends in 2010...if you're trying to improve the potty mouth AND not complain as much, well, you might have to limit your time around me! Ha!

Susan said...

haha! they're definitely lofty goals, wouldn't ya say?? but you can't get rid of me that easily. =~p

Tess said...

Yay!

I Emphatically Suck at saying No too. It's only getting MARGINALLY better as I age, which is disappointing.

Happy New Year!!