Monday, November 16, 2009

A Cheesehead? Really?

"Why on earth would a good Southern girl like you be a fan of the stinkin' Green Bay Packers?" If I had $1 for every time I heard that one, well .... you know.

I would actually be remiss if I led you to believe that I'm a diehard-bleeds-green-and-yellow-paints-my-face-on-Sunday Packer fan. *I hear my U-per family gasping right now* When I was old enough to really express an interest in following football was about the time that I really got to know my UP Michigan kinfolk. Wanna talk about diehard Cheeseheads??? They're the epitomy, let me tell ya! So they "schooled" me about football and that, of course, meant that I had to be a Packer fan. *wink* But let's face it, I got in on the beginnings of the Favre years. What's not to love about that? Seriously?! He rawks!!!! (And, yes, I am a tad bit bitter about the whole "retirement" thing. So let's not talk about it, k?)

Now that I'm hooked on football, I need a team that's easier to follow at home 'cause, you know, Greenbay doesn't get a lot of air time down here! That's when I started watching the Cowboys. In fact, I didn't miss a single game for SIX years. I got to where I could call the plays even while listening to the game on the radio on the way home from church - I knew the playbook so well. I made my guy friends proud! haha

BUT I became disenchanted with the 'Boys, and pro football in general if we're being honest, long about six years ago or so and now don't follow them as much anymore. (Shoot, I don't follow anyone anymore, let's be honest!) Scandal after scandal is hard to stomach, ya know? And then the coaching just "gone off and went to hell" (to borrow a terrible hick phrase from my youth). Quite frankly, it makes my blood boil most of the time to watch them play. Such stupid play calling. Terrible tackling. Geez - I've seen high school teams play better. HIGH SCHOOL! And don't even get me started on J.J.! *Pfffft*

So ... when the 'Boys play the Packers? Well, these days it's just kinda hard to choose.

No comments: