Friday, October 02, 2009

Things: Installment 29

October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month. Since this is the first Friday in October, I'm dedicating this week's post to to the topic.

Things About Breast Cancer

Today is Lee National Denim Day. According to their website, it is the single largest one-day fundraiser for breast cancer research.

Today I'm wearing jeans in honor of Lee National Denim Day, as well as pink in honor of Breast Cancer Awareness Month.

The Susan G. Komen Foundation is the single largest grassroots network of survivors and activists and has raised over $1 billion for research since its inception in 1982. It is also the single most recognized source of fundraising for a cause.

I am one of millions who has been touched by breast cancer. My maternal grandmother is a 32-yr survivor. My paternal grandmother is a victim.

I have not had a BRAC analysis. For now, I do not intend to.

I am due for my first mammogram in 2 years - when I'm 35.

It is estimated that 1,910 men will be diagnosed with breast cancer in 2009.

A healthy lifestyle and regular exams are key in prevention and early diagnosis. So think twice about eating that fast food so often or making an excuse to skip the gym day after day. Choose health over convenience.

Most importantly, get regular physicals and do regular self-exams. It saved my grandmother (and Derek). It just might save you too!

No comments: