Odd-n-Ends About Our Alaskan Cruise
- When one doesn't keep up with Google Reader while on vacation, you have more than 450 posts awaiting you on your return. That's a lot of daily reading in a week, don't ya think?! Nevermind the daily posts will keep piling up each and every day until I get caught up. (As of yesterday, I have still have 150 in queue!)
- It's not that hard to burn through 250 minutes of internet time while on vacation b/c you're using the s l o w e s t internet connection since the days of dial-up! But hey, I'm sure you guys enjoyed the photos & video last week while we were actually sailing, so it was worth it!
- You get great towel art in your stateroom every day. We had the BEST room stewards - we got TWO critters each day. (I'm easily impressed. *wink*) No worries, you'll get to see all of our friends soon enough.
- We had no fewer than 10 pilots throughout the cruise. Did you know the captain doesn't actually pilot the ship? Apparently there are specialized boat pilots who take care of that. The fjords and waterways we were sailing were tricky to navigate as they were narrow(ish).
- Once again I learned that winding mountain car rides are not so great for me - though we did narrowly escape any ... ahem ... incidents on the aformentioned mountain descent.
- Speaking of incidents, there were several serious ones on the ship. One required someone to be evacuated via Canadian Coast Guard. One required our restaurant to be closed - with all us of inside - while a person was loaded on a stretcher and a hazmat team cleaned up the area.
- Staring at the pile of laundry that awaited me once the suitcases were unpacked, there's something to be said for taking a cruise where shorts & swimsuits are the main articles of clothing required!
- Everyone should have great neighbors who watch your house, tend your critters, bring your mail in, water your plants, and mow your lawn while you're gone!