Friday, May 29, 2009

Things: Installment 21

Here's a fun one that I totally stole from my friend Daon. Let's talk about teeth. Aww, come on. It'll be fun!

Things about My Teeth
  • When I was 4, a boy was carrying me and dropped me. I fell smack on the ol' mouth and bit through my bottom lip and knocked one of my front teeth up into my gum. The tooth had to be pulled. As a result, my permanent tooth was "scarred" with lighter-colored enamel on the corner where the baby tooth jabbed it.
  • When I was 12, I had this light spot on my front tooth fixed. The dentist essentially ground a hole in my tooth and filled it in with matching fake stuff. Needless to say, tooth whitening will prove tricky for this tooth.
  • I sucked my thumb until I was about 6. What does this have to do with my teeth? Well, basically everything. As a result, I had a HORRIBLE overbite, amongst a few other dental issues. And I earned some pretty awful nicknames in grade school.
  • In 4th grade, I got braces.
  • In 5th grade, I got my headgear. And yes, I had to wear it to school. How else do you get in the requisite minimum of 18 hrs a day??! I wore the headgear for about 3 yrs but was able to give up wearing it to school at the end of 6th grade.
  • I got my braces off at the very beginning of 9th grade.
  • I have a hot pink, glow-in-the-dark retainer. Somewhere in my bathroom drawer. Nope, I do not wear it anymore. But I probably should. My teeth have started doing a little shifting.
  • My bottom retainer is permanent. Rather than gluing it to two teeth, mine is glued to five. Oh what fun it is to floss around that stupid thing!
  • I was a "test case" for my orthodontist. I believe he was seeking specialization certification from the American Board of Orthodontia. Anyway, I fit some type of profile he needed. We got a discount as a result. But it also meant he did some experimenting in my treatment. (See also the reference to my bottom retainer.)
  • I had all of my 12-yr molars pulled to make room for my wisdom teeth.
  • I saved all of my baby teeth. My dentist even gave me "tooth trunks" to keep them in. Unless mom threw them out, I'm pretty sure those trunks are still hanging around somewhere.
  • I had the same dentist from ages 6-31. I finally got a local dentist last year after my long-time dentist developed some serious health issues. It was about time to give up that 2+ hour drive anyway.
  • My current dentist is my s-i-l's sister. And I really love her practice. Everyone is so nice and the equipment is state-of-the-art. I highly recommend her if you are in need of a dentist!

3 comments:

Aggie99 said...

My bottom retainer is attached to six of my bottom teeth! :) And yes I just went to the restroom to count for sure. Ha! I should've included that in my facts...darn.

–źLEKSANDRA MOREL said...

:-) your S-I-L sister :-)

The Cockrells said...

weird! yeah, my bottom retainer is just glued to the two. Sorry! it's hard enough flossing with the 2! not that i do it that often...uh...