Friday, March 27, 2009

Things: Installment 12

Here's a fun one we all should try from time-to-time. Consider your habits. Good ones. Bad ones. Quirky ones. Annoying ones. Thought about them? Good. Discuss.

Things About My (Crazy) Habits


  • I refuse to turn ahead on my day-by-day calendars, even if I know I'll be gone that day. Like it jinxes the future or something. Not that I believe in jinxes. My college roommate used to love to read ahead on her desktop calendars. And she would try to read the "good ones" to me. I would put my fingers in my ears and sing "la-la-la." She had to save the good ones and read them to me on the right day. It was a running joke at our apartment.

  • I have to get the mail. Every. Single. Day. In fact, I can't even wait to get home to know what's in the mail. If I know Derek is home at mail-time, I'll call ahead to see what came. And it's not like I get exciting mail, people! I mean, who wants to find out ahead of time that the bills have come?! Or that you only got junk mail?! Ooo! Ooo! I do!

  • When I get home from work and know I'm staying in, I put on pjs and slippers. Sometimes I do this even IF I'm going somewhere later.

  • I do not squeeze the toothpaste from the middle. I do not squeeze any tube of anything from the middle, for that matter. Not lotion. Not antibiotic ointment. Nothing. And if someone has done this to a tube, I fix it by squeezing the contents until they're all at the top by the cap and the empty part of the tube is all at the bottom.

  • While we're on this topic, I also like for the top of the butter or the dip or anything in a tub to stay flat. No digging craters in my tubs! Don't ask me why.

  • I eat early. Like ... as close to getting-home time as possible. To me, eating late is eating at 7 p.m. And I get grumpy when there's no food at the appointed dining hour.

  • I do not like waking up to anything but an alarm. Derek shudders in fear when I ask him to wake me up from a nap. He knows that despite the fact that I've asked him to wake me up that it ain't gonna be pretty! *hiss, snarl, and bark*

  • When I get done with a craft project, I have to clean up my crafting space. Even if I'm just moving on from one project to another. To me, it's like wiping the slate clean and starting over. New project = clean desk.

  • I make lists for everything. And I save my lists in Excel. In case I need them later. Sure. Make fun if you want, but one day you're gonna want my Super Mac Daddy Camping List.

  • I organize my shopping lists. (You: *gasp* Really?! Nuh-uh!) Yep. I can get in & out of the stores I frequent most often in 30 min. or less (barring long check-out lines, of course). And it's all thanks to The System. You should try it sometime.

I'm sure Derek could add many, many more (crazy) habits to this list. But I think you get the idea of what it's like to live with me on a day-to-day basis. (You: Wow ... Derek is a saint!)

2 comments:

Aggie99 said...

I'm crazy about the mail too! It started at a young age when I would walk with my mom to get it. It was often the highlight of my day in my young life!

And the toothpaste thing, I actually squeeze from the middle, which for me of all people, is SO WEIRD!!!

Anonymous said...

granny said she could add some more 'habits'to your list. Imagine that. Wonder where you got some of those silly traits? I don't think I want to make a list of mine.

Your mama