Sunday, February 01, 2009

Recap

So let's see. The wintry weather gave way to milder weather (temps in the 60s). Had a good voice lesson on Thursday. We started pulling music for a May recital & fall program for a professional group my voice teacher would like me to join. I've decided to challenge myself with an entire section of French music. For those of you who know me & know my current repertoire, you know that I've been avoiding performing my French arias about like I would avoid the plague. But I decided that I'm never going to be comfortable with it and a performance is a challenge to strive to perfect it rather than sweep it under the rug and ignore it. After all, a lot of the really wonderful coloratura roles are in French. 

Went to the opera with a girlfriend last night. I was really looking forward to the performance. Roberto Devereux is rarely performed, so to see it live was a real treat. The singers were terrific. I was only mildly intrigued by the story. In fact, I found it slow-moving and ... well, boring. *honk-shoo* I actually fought very hard to stay awake in the last act. Shhhh - don't tell! *wink*

I worked on fighting off that cold that Derek has tried to share with me. Finally succumbed. Woke up yesterday with a scratchy throat that just wouldn't go away. This morning, I'm officially voiceless. *sigh* That kinda impedes the progress in the singing department. I'm hoping lots of rest will be the answer. I really need not miss another voice lesson. And I know my paid church gig needs me on Wednesday. Here's hoping for a quick recovery.

1 comment:

The Cockrells said...

Aww, I love singing French, but I haven't done any serious singing in so long, it would be pretty rough! =) Be sure to let me know of your performances; I will try harder to make them!

Feel better! My throat is so unhappy right now, so I feel your pain.