Tuesday, December 02, 2008

Things: Installment 9

My friend Jana sent me this terrific little list, and I thought it would be an excellent entry in the Things Series. Enjoy!

25 Things about Christmas

1. Wrapping paper or gift bags? I use both. Some gifts are too large for bags while some are too small for boxes. More often I use boxes b/c I like the way wrapped boxes look under the tree …. and I like to keep the curious noses of four-paws out of the bags!
2. Real tree or Artificial? Unfortunately, real trees and I don’t agree – achoo! So we have an artificial tree.
3. When do you put up the tree? If it’s not our year for Christmas houseguests, then we don’t put up the tree. But when we do, the tree gets put up when we have the time to devote to decorating the whole house b/c I like to get it ALL done at the same time – inside and out.
4. When do you take the tree down? Usually New Years’ Day.
5. Do you like eggnog? I’ve never tried it. I just can’t get over the texture, which reminds me of buttermilk and I DON’T like buttermilk.
6. Favorite gift received as a child? I remember being ecstatic about my Cabbage Patch doll. But all in all, I don't think I have a favorite gift.
7. Hardest person to buy for? My brother.
8. Easiest person to buy for? My mom.
9. Do you have a nativity scene? Yes, a very beautiful crystal set we received as a wedding gift.
10. Mail or email Christmas cards? Mail.
11. Worst Christmas gift you ever received? While I’m sure I’ve had a doozie or two, I don’t remember them.
12. Favorite Christmas Movie? The Santa Clause.
13. When do you start shopping for Christmas? Traditionally, I begin Black Friday. But I’m not opposed to buying before then if I happen to see something.
14. Have you ever recycled a Christmas present? Sure. We have a White Elephant gift exchange at work.
15. Favorite thing to eat at Christmas? Granny’s peanut butter fudge. Yum!
16. Lights on the tree? Definitely. I think I put about 20 strands on ours (properly to avoid overloading the circuits & causing a fire, of course).
17. Favorite Christmas song? Just one? If I had to choose just one, I think it would be “Breath of Heaven.”
18. Travel at Christmas or stay home? I prefer to stay home, but the holidays always involve traveling.
19. Can you name all of Santa's reindeer? I may not be able to name the Beatles, but I can, without a doubt, name ALL of Santa’s reindeer!
20. Angel on the tree top or a star? Neither. But we have a beautiful bone china tree topper that I bought the first Christmas we were married.
21. Open the presents Christmas Eve or morning? The day never matters to me. What's most important is getting to spend ANY time with my family. But Derek and I usually do stockings on Christmas morning. Large family gatherings/package fests usually involve one of the two days, though.
22. Most annoying thing about this time of the year? Aside from the fact that retail stores have to start shoving Christmas down my throat before we’ve even had Thanksgiving? It would have to be that people get hung up on tradition in such a way that it sucks the joy right out of the season. Why do we have to be stuck in the traditions of our childhoods? Why can’t we make new traditions?
23. Favorite ornament theme or color? My mom buys my brother & me new ornaments each year and has since we were born. Each ornament is hand-picked especially for us. I love putting those on the tree each year. We also have ornaments that each of our grandparents has given to us. Those are each very special, as well, because they are from the first years of our grandparents’ marriages. How cool is it to hang a 50 year old ornament?
24. Favorite for Christmas dinner? Dressing. Definitely the dressing.
25. What do you want for Christmas this year? A Christmas without family drama.

2 comments:

The Cockrells said...

I want you to add the "follow" thingee so I can "follow" your blog from my new blog. =) This new blog is family friendly, so I can post my name, tee hee!

Susan said...

ask and ye shall receive. =) check the sidebar.

incidentally, there's also a place to add me to "the blogs you follow" on www.blogger.com/home at the bottom under "reading list"