Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Only in Texas

So, for those of you who haven't already heard, Sunday, it was a balmy 78 degrees in N. Texas. A cold front moved in overnight. Yesterday, temps hovered in the upper 20s and we had a stiff north wind. Brrrrrrrr! It wasn't supposed to rain until today, but Old Man Winter had other ideas. It sprinkled & misted most of yesterday (at least around the area of home, tho downtown stayed drier until later in the afternoon) and overnight. This morning, everything is coated in a fine sheet of ice - the infamous Black Ice, to be exact. I attempted to go to work. It took me 20 min to drive my usual 5 min route to the bus station. Temps are still in the upper 20s, the wind is blowing (though lighter today), and a heavy mist is falling. On my way, I hear that Rockwall ISD has closed. No surprise after my slippery trek to the bus station! Once at the bus station, I decide that conditions are likely going to get worse & getting home is going to be an even more heroic journey than the trip I've just made to get there. And home I went (much to the delight of my bosses (and family) who were concerned that I would brave the slippery roadways).

The last two days brings to mind the familiar Texas phrase, "if you don't like the weather, just wait a minute." Indeed. End-of-week forecasts put us back in the upper 70s. And early next week, they're projecting another round of slippery stuff. Only in Texas!

No comments: