Sunday, December 21, 2008

Countdown Begins

Oi! It's been quite a whirlwind of a weekend. I've been going non-stop since last weekend with no end in sight for any kind of real rest. 'Tis the season.

Thursday the staff took the boss out for one last hoorah - he's retiring on December 31st. We ate at this great little restaurant in Addison. I highly recommend Canary Cafe if you happen to be in the area - good prices & great food. And a nice time was had by all.

Friday was Derek's company party at Sambuca. I was a little grumpy about going, but I'd forced him to go to the dinner the night before so I was kind of obligated to go. I did have a nice time once I was there - despite the fact that we go stuck in horrible traffic getting there. We had heavy hors'derves instead of dinner this year, and while I was initially worried about getting enough to eat, there was plenty & I filled up fine. (Hey, I get grumpy when I'm hungry. Believe me, everyone thanked me for eating!) We stayed later than intended & got home later (yet more traffic on the way home - how is that possible at almost midnight?!) than we intended.

I slept in Saturday morning (hey, 9am is late for me!). Spent the morning in the craft room before heading off to rehearsal for the big program (Saint-Saens Christmas Oratorio) at my paid church job. Rehearsal went pretty well. Lasted longer than we anticipated, but that's usually how those kinds of things go. We got the rough spots ironed out and that's what was important. I went back home to the craft room. I'm bound & determined to get these crazy Christmas gifts finished! I hit the hay early tho b/c I had to be up super early.

Today, my day began at the rude hour of 5AM! That's just not right, I tell you. But ... duty calls sometimes. And we weren't able to rehearse with orchestra/harp yesterday (tough economy = tight budget) so we had a 45 min. rehearsal before worship/performance. It was the most efficient rehearsal we've ever had. But it helps when everyone, singers & orchestra alike, are well-prepared. Both services went smashingly well! Musicians & singers were all right on & really did the piece justice. My director, who heard me solo this very work 5 yrs ago, said it was the best she's ever heard me sing/sound - "it was spectacularly perfect."

No rest for the weary, though, b/c I had a rehearsal with the kids after church to prepare for their Christmas pageant on Wednesday. *sigh* All I really wanted to do was lay my head down & take a nap! But we trudged through & now have a better idea of what to expect at dress rehearsal on Tuesday. Trust me, we needed that reassurance b/c last week's rehearsal was HORRENDOUS!

Now ... well, now I'm back in the craft room & working on those silly Christmas projects! Nevermind I still have grocery shopping to do & a house to finish decorating ... not to mention get clean! But somehow everything manages to get done. At this point, I'm not really sure how. But I'm going with the "everything manages to get done" theory & hoping for the best. Derek's been helpful this weekend tho - he coerced some "help" into hanging the outside lights for me. Now if I can just persuade him to vacuum! lol

No comments: