Thursday, October 16, 2008

Shameless Election Plug

Ordinarily, I do not espouse to the world any kind of political anything. It's just not my thing. I figure: you have a brain, I have a brain, we'll each use our own brains coupled with our own convictions to make electoral decisions that work for us as individuals. Good policy - yes? Yes. I think so too.

This year, however, I must step out of my comfort zone & actually make an endorsement ... of sorts. You see, I work with elected officials - good, hard-working, honest people of integrity. And this year, more than any other year, the importance of the election cycle is really driven home for me. And everything is riding on YOU (and me, too). That is not to say that it does not ordinarily depend on you - of course it does. You're the voter, after all. It's just that this year things could change in my own backyard if you choose not to vote with a brain.

So, first off, GET OUT AND VOTE!

Secondly, you're probably wondering what "vote with a brain" means. Here's the simple answer. This year, I'm asking you ... no begging you ...: for the love of all things good, holy, and just, if you live in Dallas, Collin, Grayson, Hunt, Rockwall, or Kaufman county and you're a Democrat, DO NOT STRAIGHT TICKET VOTE!

Why? Should you choose to straight ticket vote in this election, you will, without a doubt, elect the least qualified person for the appellate bench. This has nothing to do with party affiliation. Zilch. Zero. Nada. Appellate judges make rulings based on established law and code - never on political affiliation or personal beliefs. NEVER! They claim party affiliation in elections because they are required to do so. Plain & simple: in the races for appellate benches, it has everything to do with qualifications and nothing to do with politics! So ask yourself: Should these folks have trial experience? Should they have experience in appellate law? If they are currently on a bench, should they follow established law?

I don't care if you call yourself a Democrat, a Republican, a Libertarian, a conservative, a moderate, a liberal, or a flibberdigibbit, for the love of pete! Set aside your thoughts about the national races and put the most qualified candidates on the appellate bench. In short, for this one race, *hold your nose* and vote Republican!

No comments: