Sunday, October 26, 2008

Fall Indeed

As they say, you need only wait a little while ... fall is definitely rolling in as the wind picked up this evening & temps began dropping. Don't get me wrong, we enjoyed the beautiful weekend weather - though it was a bit warm (upper 80s) for my taste. I believe fall just might be here to stay tho. The weathermen are even talking about freezing temperatures for the upcoming week! Ah ... fall ... it truly is my favorite time of year!

It was a nice quiet weekend for us - one of the first we've had in a while. We finally had the time to meet a landscape designer about our backyard drainage issue. We, of course, talked about how we would address that while also dressing up the space to make it more conducive to the entertaining we enjoy. Next weekend we get to see the design & quote. I'm anticipating sticker shock in hopes that I'll be pleasantly surprised.

Saturday I ran around with mom who came to town to do a little grocery shopping (I know that's strange, but it's hard to find celiac-friendly food in E. Texas.). And I feel compelled to recommend two places to you. First, we had lunch at a celiac-friendly bistro in Plano. 100% of the menu is gluten free - everything from bread to lunch meat to pizza to dessert. Mom had a burger & I had a sandwich & we had to try the dessert of the day - it was wonderful! They also have a bakery - and the holiday menu looks divine! This place must be pretty popular b/c they're getting ready to move to a bigger space. Delicious-n-fit is worth the drive, especially if you have friends with special dietary needs. They can make dining items to order and they also serve dinner. We then headed to Sprouts to do the grocery shopping. We've had pretty good luck finding gluten/wheat free items at both Whole Foods and Central Market, but we'd heard that Sprouts had better selection. I do think there were more items to choose from, and they were definitely easier to find. I think it's the first time that we found just about everything on mom's list in one store! Sprouts also had wonderful produce at very reasonable prices. I can't wait for the Murphy location to open.

I spent many hours in the craft room this weekend. It was time for some cleaning & reorganizing in that space, let me tell you. For one thing, I got a new toy for my birthday. It's a nifty scoring tool and it needed a home on my desk, which was a wreck. I'd neglected to clean up from recent projects & there was no way to start anything new until I got things back in order. So now I can mess it all up again! For another thing, Meeko has discovered my ribbon stash. Oh the fun he has with all those spools of ribbon. But I've put the kabosh on that - it's all in mason jars now ... take that! I spent Sunday afternoon working on the prototype for this year's Christmas card. I'm happy to say that it only took me three tries to get one I was happy with ... and it's even Derek-approved! Now I can get started on the assembly line & perhaps have those finished in about a week, if all goes as planned. Then I can get started on the Christmas gift items. I may actually have everything done before Christmas this year!

Now if I can just get the rest of my house in order....

No comments: