Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Lists, Lists, and More Lists

I'm a habitual list-maker. Yep. It's true. I admit it. Sometimes I take a list & start all over making the same list. Why? Probably b/c it wasn't organized quite right. Or b/c it looked messy. Or (gasp) b/c I'd lost the original. When I was handwriting all of my lists, this amounted to lots & lots of pieces of paper. But I've started keeping lists in spreadsheets. (Insert eye roll from a lot of you. I know.) This is great for the grocery list b/c we buy mostly the same items every month so it's not reinventing the wheel every time grocery day comes around. There are the random items we don't buy often, of course, like detergent & fabric softener, but it's a real time-saver for the common items, like breakfast bars & milk. But I digress.

It won't come as a shock to you when I tell you I've started the spreadsheet for the Ireland trip. Just 15 days to go-day. It likely won't surprise you to know that my list is also organized by type of baggage (checked/carry-on/purse) & what goes on top or in side pockets of each bag. I've learned it's much easier to pack those must-scan-separately-at-security items so they're easy to access & put away. So by organizing my list in this way, it keeps me from packing & unpacking & repacking once I've realized I've put something on the bottom of the bag that should be on the top or in a side pocket. Sure, it's anal. But welcome to my world!

I've already scrapped the list twice & started over. It just wasn't working for me. Plus, we've had a few organizational meetings & I've gotten more info about weather & climate that have affected my packing list. Or they've reminded me of things I wasn't planning to bring but should or items that should stay home. We had the final trip meeting on Sunday, which is the last day that I scrapped my list & started over. I have a much better (and very organized) list now. Plus I have worksheets for things I need to buy & things I need to do before I leave (like leaving copies of itinerary, etc. for Derek & writing up his flying instructions).

I'm really starting to get excited about this trip. It's going to be so much fun & the weather is going to be really nice compared to here - with highs in the 60s & lows in the 50s. It'll rain, but we're prepared for that.

As an added bonus, mom & I have discovered that the two countries in the world with the highest incidences of celiac disease are Italy & IRELAND. 1:300 people there are celiacs. So needless to say, the entire country is celiac friendly! Whoop! That means mom only has to pack snacks for the planeride over & the rest she can buy while in Ireland proper. AND she can enjoy eating with the group without worrying (too much) about being glutened.

No comments: