Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Always Growing

Had a terrific voice lesson last night. Of course, it helps that I feel so much better than I have in about a month - the pollen counts are down to 1700 as opposed to the 4000 of the last three weeks! While I was still tired after a work day, I had so much more energy to devote to my singing. We're currently preparing for a studio recital scheduled for mid-May. It's an opportunity for the younger students to get accustomed to singing in front of people, and it allows them to hear the "older" students, like me, sing some more difficult repertoire. All in all, it gives them something to look forward to & it keeps us working on building & growing in the repertoire.

Anywho, I was definitely settled on one aria but the rest of my program is up in the air. I have several arias that have been in my voice for many years but I've not performed any of them. We dug those out & I was amazed at how much easier they fell into my voice. The two we've worked on thus far - Vivaldi's "Alleluia" from O qui coeli terraeque serenitas (motet for soprano, mvt IV) and Gounod's "Juliet's Waltz" from Romeo et Juliette - are technically pretty difficult with quick runs throughout. I remember struggling with most of them when I first learned these pieces. They seemed to come so much more effortlessly now. These pieces can be real show-stoppers now, I think. I'm excited at the prospect!

I often wonder how much longer I will enjoy positive growth and development in my voice. Each year it grows - in sound, in depth, in color. At some point, I know that the changes will start marching in the opposite direction. But I hope that's many years down the road. If I'm diligent with my practicing and "good" singing, I look forward to another 30 years (at least!) of singing. It's truly a joy in my life - and not just because I can sing. Singing just makes me happy.

No comments: