Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Speaking of Annoyances

My friend Maggie Katzen posted a little blurb about being harassed by Dell Financial Services. Funny that you should mention a financial department looking for someone with a similar name but without matching identifying info.

A couple of weekends ago, we started getting phone calls from Conn's Financial Division. "We have urgent information regarding your account. Please call us as soon as possible at . . . ." So I call them back, get through the automation, hold for a while, and finally get a person.

Agent: Thank you for calling Conn's, this is ____. How can I help you?
SF: Yes, I just received an automated telephone call from you saying that I needed to call immediately about my account, but we do not have an account with you.
Agent: You don't have an account with us?
SF: No.
Agent: Hold one moment. I'm going to have to transfer you to another department.

More waiting with the cheesy on-hold music.

Agent: Thank you for calling Conn's, this is ____. How can I help you?
SF: Yes, I just received an automated telephone call from you saying that I needed to call immediately about my account, but we do not have an account with you.
Agent: You don't have an account with us?
SF: No.
Agent: Hold one moment. I'm going to have to transfer you to another department.

On hold...again...with the cheesy music.

Agent: Thank you for calling Conn's, this is ____. How can I help you?
SF: Yes, I just received an automated telephone call from you saying that I needed to call immediately about my account, but we do not have an account with you.
Agent: You don't have an account with us?
SF: No.
Agent: What's your name?
SF: S__ F___
Agent: That doesn't pull up any information. I'm going to have to transfer you to another department.

Seriously. More cheesy music.

Agent: Thank you for calling Conn's, this is ____. How can I help you?
SF: Yes, I just received an automated telephone call from you saying that I needed to call immediately about my account, but we do not have an account with you.
Agent: You don't have an account with us?
SF: No.
Agent: Your name?
SF: S___ F___
Agent: What about your husband's name?
SF: D___ F___
Agent: Do you live on Midway Road in Dallas?
SF: No.
Agent: Have you ever lived on Midway Road in Dallas?
SF: No.
Agent: What's his middle initial?
SF: __
Agent: What's the last four of your husband's social?
SF: xxxx
Agent: We have a D__ F__ in our system, but the middle initial, social, and address do not match. I guess our research department found your phone number when searching for a D__ F___. We will remove your phone number from our system.
SF: Thanks.

But the next day, they called again. This time, Derek went through the song & dance to tell them what I had told them the day before. "We will have to send that to our research department." Really. Well, in the meantime, QUIT CALLING ME!!!!!

So, MaggieK, I understand why you might ponder unplugging the phone for a while. Or hey, even blocking the number. Whatever. Just make the phone stop ringing.

1 comment:

–źLEKSANDRA MOREL said...

or change your name :) it may be easier