Saturday, December 08, 2007

Concert Invitation

This has been another rather hectic week. For one, I successfully avoided coming down with the full-blown version of some kind of upper respiratory bug. That little battle began last weekend when I woke up with a sore throat that grew steadily worse as the days went on. I, of course, took myself straight to the doctor on Monday to be sure it wasn't some bacterial bug. My doctor deduced that the sore throat was likely caused by drainage resulting from a severe allergy flare-up. Gee, you think all of that wind could have anything to do with it?! Anyway, several days of extra rest and a huge load of vitamin C seemed to do the trick. (Ultimately the throat swab came back negative for strep or any other kind of bug.) The sore throat subsided by Friday and is now completely gone ... at least for the time being. And I'm not looking that gift horse in the mouth!

I say all of this b/c I'm the soloist in a big classical piece tomorrow evening. So aside from the fact that the sore throat attacked me last weekend in the middle of the NETCS concerts, I had to remain well for this weekend's performance. Naturally, that means I had another week full of rehearsals (several of them late ones). So getting that extra rest was a sacrifice of some working hours, but hey, that's what sick time is for!

Today's dress rehearsal went as dress rehearsals go ... terrible. But I'm a firm believer in the "bad rehearsal, good performance" mantra. Indeed, our final, brisk run-through of the piece proved much better than the first go-round. And I think it will be a stunning performance on the whole. We've never hired an orchestra this big, but I believe it's money well spent. There is certainly no shortage of talent amongst the players ... or the singers.

So if you're free, I would like to extend an invitation to you. Please join the music program of Lake Highlands United Methodist Church for "A Christmas Gathering." The evening concert will be preceded by dinner ($7 adults, $4 children - no family pays more than $20) at 5 p.m. in the Family Life Center. The free concert follows dinner at 6 p.m. in the sanctuary. All facets of the music program will be performing, including children, youth, handbells, and adults. The evening concludes with the chancel choir's presentation of Rutter's Magnificat with Susan Fox, Whitney Dewell, Kenton Kravig, and Ben Plocher as soloists.

No comments: