Monday, June 04, 2007

A Weekend from the Weekend

Ever have one of those weekends where you need another one just to recover? It was one of those...a busy one, for sure.

Friday we dashed home to do some last-minute yardwork while the grass was dry and before more storms moved in Friday night. As you can see, I didn't get very far with such a short time to spare. While Derek complained that he was having to do yardwork on his birthday, he was very glad to have it done once he got up Saturday morning. Everything was super squishy again after the big overnight storms.

After a few hours in the yard, we hurriedly cleaned up to meet his parents for dinner at Nick & Sam's. Yum. What's better than starting the evening with caviar and ending with creme brulee? I've eaten at several steakhouses, and I have my favorites. But Nick & Sam's really took the cake. Mmmmmm. That's all I can say.

Saturday I got up relatively early and started working in the yard again. While I couldn't go back to finish the flowerbed I had started weeding on Friday (it was standing in water), I could get to the one across from it. Derek finally rolled out of bed and finished the little bit of yardwork he had left--thankfully, it was only weedeating. Then he helped me with the weeding. We managed to get that bed completely cleaned out. It was too wet to plant the lantana I bought for it, and we decided we wanted to redo all of the weed mat before we finish it anyway. With the sunshine this week, we just might be dry enough to try that this weekend. I moved on to the front flowerbeds, which weren't as bad but still needed attention. Then it was time to clean the back porch and patio in preparation for evening company. By about 2, I'd gotten everything done I could accomplish outside (or that I wanted to accomplish anyway--my back was screaming at me). So I got cleaned up and worked on tidying inside...and took a little siesta with the dog...it was a hard day's work, after all. Then the birthday party got underway. Our neighbor Dan played host to most of the block and a bunch of our friends. We had three grills going. And by the time it was all said and done, I think we cooked about two cows and five hundred chickens. It seemed like it anyway! I'm not sure what time the party officially ended--I had to leave early to get enough rest to sing two services on Sunday. I do know that a terrific time was had by all! Thanks, Dan, for everything!

Sunday, I sang two services and had a six-hour rehearsal. I believe Derek spent the day recovering.

And now...a new week begins. Just eleven days 'til show--guess what I'll be doing?!

No comments: