Wednesday, November 01, 2006

This and That

Had to go for a regular check-up this week. It was time again to evaluate the blood pressure. I'm not sure I've ever mentioned that I even have a blood pressure problem. Unfortunately, I got the flawed set of genes in that department. Dad was kind enough to pass those along. Actually, I should feel fortunate. Several, if not all, of my dad's sisters have been medicated since their early 20s. So to put it off until my late 20s is saying something. Anywho, I've been on baseline meds for 18 mos now. And in the last month, I've seen my readings really start creeping. I knew I wouldn't be able to stay on the baseline stuff forever. When you're dealing with a genetic issue rather than environmental, you expect to have to make adjustments to meds along the way. After running some tests, the doctor decided to switch me to a beta blocker. I'm not all that thrilled with the switch; it can pose issues down the road. But those issues certainly beat any alternatives to being unmedicated altogether! Hopefully, the new med will work and I'll see my readings come back into the normal range and stay there for a while.

My brother had his first bit of excitement on the job. He was involved in a multi-agency nighttime manhunt. This was a particularly dangerous situation since the suspect was considered armed & dangerous. So David was on the case with weapon drawn. That'll keep you awake on a night shift!

Still don't have my car back. It was only supposed to have taken 6 business days to repair...at least, if you believe what the insurance company tells you. I've called the dealership to see how much longer they'll have the car. If all goes well, I'll have it this Friday.

So just one short week until Derek & I head off to the big city. We're very excited and already have a game plan for our four-day vacation. We have several friends we plan to see. And we'll do the usual sight-seeing. We hope to make a show or two and have a nice dinner somewhere. I must admit that I've been a little floored by how expensive NYC is! If you want to stay in the city, expect to pay handsomely. And while you can eat on the cheap, a nice meal will also cost you. But...when you're on vacation, you can't always be budget-conscious (a/k/a tightwad/cheapskate/penny-pincher). Naturally, I'll give all the trip details sometime after we get back.

No comments: