Monday, October 02, 2006

When Adults Behave Badly

In all my years of watching football, never have I witnessed such an asinine display of childish and very dangerous behavior as I watched unfold yesterday during the Cowboys/Titans game. For those of you who've lived under a rock the last two days, here's the scoop. Early in the third quarter and immediately after a Cowboys touchdown, Titan defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth kicks Cowboys center Andre Gurode in the face--not just once but twice, the second blow leading to a gash requiring at least 30 stitches. Anyone who saw this post-play action unfold likely screamed at the t.v. like I did because there was no provocation for this ridiculously "asinine behavior" (in the words commentator of Daryl Johnson). Naturally, a flag was thrown for unsportsmanlike conduct. Haynesworth, obviously thinking that he'd done no wrong in throwing a shoebottom full of turf spikes in his opponent's forehead, throws a big ol' two-year-oldlike temper tantrum by stripping off his helmet & flinging it down on the field just before he gets in the ref's face & proceeds to give him the what-for. Tell me folks, do we really want our children idolizing professional sportsman? Because with behavior like this, it reminds me why I've quit being a loyal fan & virtually never turn on a game...ever! I think the real icing on the cake for me is Haynesworth's day-after commentary:

"What I did out there was disgusting," Haynesworth said. "It doesn't matter what the league does to me. The way I feel right now, you just can't describe it."
Yeah, well, I'm glad you've had difficultly clearing your conscience overnight and all, but really...where the h-e-double was your sportsmanship yesterday? I cannot think of anything that could be said or done on a ballfield that would provoke such an assault on another human being. Makes me wonder how you deal with difficult situations off the ballfield. Do you beat your wife too, Mr. Haynesworth?? Quite frankly, I think he should be not only be permanently suspended from the game but also brought up on criminal charges. That behavior goes beyond ridiculous & shouldn't go unpunished by a court of law...NFL fines & suspensions are not good enough in cases like this! An example should be made.

No comments: