Sunday, October 29, 2006

Peace and Quiet

What a great weekend we've had. Although Derek has been on call, it was a relatively uneventful weekend, which means we actually got to see each other for more than five minutes! But with a quiet schedule for me until the end of the year, that should be the case for a while. Aside from getting to spend some quiet, quality time together, I spent a better part of the weekend cleaning house. Finally...the house is back up to my standard of clean. For six weeks, I wasn't able to do much in the way of cleaning. You take for granted every day the ability to lift and/or push/pull things that weigh more than 10 lbs. At least, I know that I did. So while I was on post-op restrictions, I wasn't able to run the vacuum cleaner. While I wouldn't ordinarily complain about this, after a while, the metropolises of dust bunnies really start to get to you--well, they do if you're a neat/clean freak like I am. Derek was kind enough to "clean" a few times, but it's just not quite the same. And now the house is all nice & clean again. You know, there really is nothing like that feeling of having a clean house. At least, for me anyway.

Now that that's done, I can finally get to the around-the-house to-do list, which has grown quite long. I am already able to cross one thing off the list--I temporarily organized my rehearsal corner in the craft room (see photo left). Ah, accomplishment! If we tackle one to two projects a week, I think we can actually get everything else accomplished before the end of the year. Here's the list:

  • Install new toilet flapper in master bath
  • Install task lighting in craft room
  • Install tile backsplash in kitchen
  • Paint interior walls
  • Clean out closets in extra bedroom/offices
  • Organize Derek's office
  • Clean/organize garage
  • File the mountain of paperwork
  • Take clothes to Goodwill
I'm sure we've missed a few things on the to-do list. But just these few items should keep us busy from now until the end of the year. And what a terrific feeling to have all of these things accomplished!

So for the next few months, we'll be enjoying the peace and quiet of house projects. I find all of these things very relaxing. Perhaps because the ability to cross them off the to-do list is cathartic. But that's probably because it feeds the neat freak in me. And that's okay.

I'll keep you posted on our progress.

No comments: