Sunday, October 08, 2006

One Down...

So, yesterday's audition--went. Funny how I always have some kind of funny story to tell after an audition. To start the whole thing off, I was late to my audition. This never happens. I'm usually at least 10 minutes early. And I left in plenty of time. Knowing that it was TX-OU weekend, I opted to go George Bush to Irving from Rowlett. I figured I would avoid all the football traffic that way. Haha--this would have been a good plan if the good folks at NTTA hadn't decided to do construction on Saturday from 8 a.m. to 10 p.m., shutting the westbound lanes down to one lane from Preston all the way to 35. Suck! Thankfully, I got there & people were congregating in the hallway. I waited about 5-10 min and Steve called my name. Nope, they hadn't been waiting on me. Overall, I think the audition went alright. My friend Gary Okeson was the hired accompanist so I was very pleased to know I would have a capable person driving my pieces. Sang "Green Finch" from Sweeney Todd first. Got all done and a conversation with one of the panel members goes something like this

{guy} Do you have anything more in the pop style? Less legit?
{grasshoppa} No, I'm sorry. I don't. I brought "Summertime" as my second piece.
{guy} Okay, well, let's try that and see how it works.
(Sing first 16-ish bars)
{guy} Thanks.

Yeah, so I was a little confused by this request for more pop style. The audition posting was thus

Please prepare 2 contrasting musical theater or country/folk type songs.

If you wanted musical theatre more in the pop style, say like Wicked! or Rent, then you should say so in the audition posting. Oh well, as I'm learning with each audition, there's always something new to add to the memory bank. This lesson would be to ask more questions about the types of pieces they were really looking for.

So...on to the next audition. I can only hope it goes better or is at least sans any strange comments.

No comments: