Wednesday, October 18, 2006

It's the Little Things

The most interesting thing happened to me on Sunday while shopping at Sam's. Derek and I were in line to check out. This lady approached me and said, "I just want to thank you for wearing that." She gave me a big hug and continued, "I just heard from my son in Iraq. It means a lot for you to wear that shirt."

My aunt Robin sent this shirt to me while my cousin Matt was serving his second tour of duty in Iraq in the Green Zone. On the front is the caption "Support Our Local Troops," while on the back is a list of everyone in the company who participated in the tour. While Matt is now home, Derek's cousin Isaac is now in Iraq. Thus, I continue to wear the shirt because I firmly believe our support of the troops is important. We may not all agree about the war. In fact, it's safe to say that a majority of the US thinks we should come home. However, whether or not I agree with our troops being stationed in Iraq (or anywhere else in the world) does not affect my support of their service. Wearing a shirt telling others is certainly the very least that I can do.

So please, do your part. Show your support for US Servicemen (and women). I cannot think of one who is not proud to serve, to protect, and to defend. We should be thankful for their undying support of this country and of the rights and freedoms their service affords us.

No comments: