Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Birthdays

Birthdays are the tolling of
A bell that marks the coming of
A time of festive joy and love,
A time to treasure life and love.
So come and celebrate with me
The circumstance that makes me, me:
The moment when I came to be,
And what I now have come to be.

--Author unknown

Birthdays--generally, I have no qualms with birthdays. I usually manage to make mine last well beyond a week by the time I catch up with all of my friends and family. Since this year marks a "monumental" birthday, I would rather spend my birthday under a rock, pretending it doesn't exist. Particularly when I got up this morning to find my house toilet papered (thank you, David & Olga) and my yard littered with signs proclaiming my "big" birthday. So in the light of the fit of side-splitting laughter I've already had today, I thought a moment of reflection might be better since I'm clearly not going to be under a rock today. Plus, my quote-a-day calendar says

Cheerfulness brings sunlight for the mind,
filling it with calm and reassurance,
and lasts far longer than amusement's quick frantic burst.

So my cheery reflections are thus: I am truly blessed to celebrate my thirtieth birthday. Beyond the blessings of years are those of wonderful family and friends, who love and support me in everything I do. Thank you all for making each and every day a special day.

No comments: