Friday, June 16, 2006

Sleep Deprivation 101

So, have you ever wondered how to learn how to function on 5 hrs of sleep or less? You become a singer! Seriously, I'm quickly learning that professional singers don't sleep much...or, more likely, they don't have dayjobs. Well, for those of us who don't yet make enough singing, losing the dayjob is out of the question...thus, I have now been indoctrinated into the world of singer's sleep deprivation or SSD.

Honestly, I thought I had already been indoctrinated into SSD until I got contracted for these two shows this summer. I mean, I keep a pretty tight singing schedule during the fall & spring with several late nights a week. (Keep in mind, late for me is anything that lasts beyond 8:30 p.m. Yeah, go ahead & say it, I'm old!!!) But I had no idea it would be like this. Getting home at 10:30 p.m. is early these days!! I'm one of those girls you hear about who really needs her "beauty sleep." While I would like to say it's because I'm vain & don't want dark circles under my eyes or wrinkles or whatever, I have to say that I'm an 8-hr-minimum girl out of consideration for the safety of others! You might say I'm a bit on the crabby side when I don't get enough sleep. So after two weeks on 5 hrs or less, you can imagine what Derek must be dealing with.

I'm very much looking forward to the next few weeks. I'll be taking some time off to catch up on some rest. Mostly, it's show week next week so I want to be sure I'm well-rested for that. After Figaro, I march straight into Kiss Me, Kate, so extra rest is not an option but a requirement as that rehearsal schedule is even crazier than the current one!

But I'm whining. Really...I'm having a terrific time. The cast members are all excellent & a real pleasure to work with. I've learned a lot from them--either directly or indirectly. I do hope that I have more opportunities like this. In the event you're free next weekend & live in the Dallas area, please come to the Eisemann & check out Le Nozze di Figaro.

No comments: