Saturday, May 27, 2006

Singers Don't Get Holidays

Today's rehearsal was long & grueling. We covered all of Acts III & IV, which we are combining into one act. Ugh. Six hours of recit, my favorite! But all of my scenes are now blocked. I have MUCH work to do. I don't feel like I'm portraying my character very well, and my Italian is atrocious, in my opinion. But I suppose these feelings are typical after the first blocking rehearsal (for me anyway).

Next rehearsal is Monday. No observance of Memorial Day for this crowd. I can't complain though, I only have to be there for the 4-hour evening rehearsal. Some of the principals have half the day and then the evening rehearsal too. Still, it's not exactly the most ideal way to spend a holiday. I may not be working at my day job, but I'll still be working.

So, you guessed it, the remainder of the weekend, I'll be buried in the music room with my score, working my Italian & my blocking. I hope to have a better go at everything on Monday. I have another much-needed coaching session sometime next week. Everything I had improved upon seemed to vanish in today's rehearsal. That's so frustrating! I know my coach was cringing at the piano, thinking "didn't we fix that?" Yes, we did.

Aside from that, I have two flute pieces to prepare and recital pieces to learn. Lots of torture from the music room for the neighbors!

On a different--yet related--note, my sweet husband cleaned house for me today. So I don't have to do any housework this weekend. I can focus on my music instead. Isn't he the bestest?!

No comments: