Friday, May 05, 2006

Professional Appearance

Last night was a rough night. The whole house - critters and all - were rudely awakened at 2 a.m. by flashing light and a loud boom a/k/a in N. Texas as severe thunderstorms. We all tried to roll over and ignore the raucous but quickly realized that it was futile. So we turned on lights and the local radar channel to check things out. For two hours or so, we watched the radar and listened to the NOAA broadcast. Exciting, right? Yeah, well, we were more than ready to go to sleep when things quieted down about 4 a.m. Of course, the alarm rudely went off at 5:30 a.m. signaling the start of another work day. Needless to say, it was hard to get up and get going.

I only worked half a day today. I have a short recital to give for a local professional group tomorrow - Dallas ProMusica - and wanted to get extra rest and rehearsal time. I've lazed around and taken a nice nap. I just finished my first practice of the evening and will run through one tough piece again before I go to bed.

For those of you new to ProMusica like I am, it is a group of both amateur and professional musicians who meet monthly, affording group members - and even guests, in my case - the opportunity to perform regularly. I intend to join the group, assuming a member will sponsor me, as a means of polishing audition pieces, as well as performing pieces only suitable for a recital setting. I will be presenting three of my NATS pieces tomorrow. Needless to say, I've been busy practicing the last several weeks since I want to make an excellent impression on this group of professionals. Assuming I can get a good night's rest tonight, I think I will present an excellent program.

No comments: