Friday, April 21, 2006

I Love State Holidays

On a day like today, I'm thankful for State holidays. Today is San Jacinto Day. If I had retained any of what I learned in Texas history, I might recall exactly what that means & why it's a State holiday. I suppose I could look it up, but I'm satisfied just having the day off without understanding why. That's the great thing about being out of school! {After looking up the holiday, I should be ashamed to call myself a Texan. Of all days, San Jacinto Day should stick in my mind as the most important day in Texas' history - the day we gained our independence from Mexico in the Battle of San Jacinto. Well, now that I've refreshed my memory & completely shamed myself as a Texan, you can read more about the battle here, if you're interested.}

Anyway, I've enjoyed a day to myself. I got my car washed; it was such a dirt bomb. Now it's all sparkling clean. I also got my oil changed and ran various other errands. It's amazing how much you can get accomplished when you're not at the stores with everyone else after work! Now I'm in the process of doing my housework so I'll have the entire rest of the weekend to do whatever I please, like make cards or scrapbook (and definitely get some time in the practice room). I'm looking forward to it already, and I'm not even halfway finished with my housework. Funny how a free weekend is a motivation to get moving.

It's supposed to be a beautiful weekend, and I'm looking forward to it.

1 comment:

Ruth Rachel Vendsel said...

Hey Sus - no state holiday for us here in PA, but it's funny - yesterday I got our car washed too (it was unbelievably yucky). Of course, our decision to wash the car made it decide to rain all day today .... :) Have a happy weekend catching up and relaxing. Aren't Saturdays grand?