Tuesday, March 28, 2006

"Much Professional Potential"

At my lesson tonight, I received my comments from this weekend's NATS adjudications. All in all, the comments were glowing. And each panelist likewise offered helpful comments about areas that could use more polishing. None of these came as a surprise. Here are some excerpts:

Judge 1
Musicianship
Good work with the fioratura in B. Jungling. Relax everything in "All Things."
Vocal Technique
Nice legato flow. Avoid stiffening your voice with non-vibrato singing.
Voice Characteristics
Good clear voice. Top blossoms very well. Bright vowels get out {of} line and cause your vocal line to be a bit uneven. Try not to "chew" the diction. Don't overuse the lips-and jaw.
Artistry
Good involvement-with text. Bright personality.

Judge 2
Musicianship
Good coloratura! Good control of your voice to do creative & expressive with the dynamic on high notes. Very good.
Vocal Technique
On initial notes of phrases, start the phrase with the same lovely vibrato that you have everywhere else. One detail to work on-line on the mid-range-maintain the quality of vibrato on all tones, even short notes. You have much professional potential.
Voice Characteristics
I like the healthy connection you have between registers, especially the way you work in and out of the lower range. Nice, bright resonant timbre throughout. Proud of you here! Good work on the upper register.
Artistry
Good work on communicating mood & text. You obviously love to sing & you draw us in with your joy. Thanks! Keep singing!!

Judge 3
Musicianship
Standchen-easier flow; try a plain vowel bed depending on tongue instead of jaw for economy & purity. Would like to see a little less "work." Hide the effort behind the phrases & flow.
Vocal Technique
Out of My Dreams-avoid glottal stops; link as you would in a foreign language. Try to maintain the crispness of diction without tension.
Voice Characteristics
Susan, you have {a} vibrant and beautiful voice! Keep enjoying the melodies & shapes & phrases & messages. Graceful Things-caress the lines; more horizontal instead of choppy stems.
Artistry
Find specific characters to vary your stance for each piece when singing several selections. Bester-excellent coloratura & intonation. Enjoy this diva


I'd say I have my work cut out for me the remainder of the week as I prepare for audition one of three, and by far the toughest of the three!

3 comments:

Ruth Rachel Vendsel said...

Hey Sus, this is awesome! Congratualations and keep singing. :) Thanks for the prayer you posted on my blog, it's really beautiful.

Ruth Rachel Vendsel said...

p.s. Too bad blogging is words on the page only, and you can't blog a voice sample for us!

Susan said...

I hope to get in the studio in the next few weeks to record a few, if not all, of the pieces I sang for NATS. When I do, I'll put them in the Yahoo! Briefcase with the other clips. (It's nice to have a friend whose hobby is sound engineering!)