Monday, March 20, 2006

Bring on the Ark

When the weather forecasters predicted a weekend of torrential rains, they weren't kidding! As of 6 p.m. last night, Rowlett had received over 8" of rain, which all fell Saturday, and it continued to fall until early this morning. An average of 2" fell every hour. In all my years, I cannot recall rain like this. Our entire subdivision was standing in water, and we had a scare with our back patio. Had we not begun pumping water off early in the afternoon, I think we would have had water in the house. I was thankful to get up this morning and find the patio mostly clear, aside from the debris left behind by the receding water. The streets were likewise littered with debris. But all in all, things were drier than yesterday.

Unfortunately, I had to attend a rehearsal yesterday afternoon amidst the torrential downpour. If there had been a way to move it, I certainly would have. Getting to rehearsal was quite a trick! Not thinking before I headed out, I went my usual back way to the freeway. BAD idea! I should have known my shortcut was flooded as it's low-lying and surrounded in several places by little streams and ponds. I lost count the number of times I had to drive through streaming water. My dad would have given me a smart lecture about that. I know better than to drive through moving water, but I was at a point of no return when I realized just how flooded my shortcut was. Thankfully, the water was not very deep or swift enough to carry away moving vehicles. Even the freeway was covered with moving water in several places. More than anything, this surprised me. I expected wet driving lanes but not a covered freeway. How naive. I got to my rehearsal fine, and I took the long way home. Thankfully, the rain had let up while I was in rehearsal so the freeway was a little drier as was my neighborhood. The heavy rain didn't begin again until I had been home for an hour or so.

Today, the sun is out, the high is expected to be in the 70s, and we're supposed to have 30-40 mph winds. That ought to aid in drying things out some. Tomorrow, it's supposed to be in the 30s. Welcome, Spring!

3 comments:

Ruth Rachel Vendsel said...

good grief! That is hard to believe. Glad you are safe.

Susan said...

Trust me, it sounds pretty unbelievable to those of us here too! I can't remember another time when so much rain fell in one day. We're due for more on Thursday, but we should be somewhat dry by then & I don't think they're expecting as much.

Mara said...

I'm glad you made it to rehearsal ok. The crazy weather in Tx has been on the news here in DC and I couldn't believe the amount of rain y'all received. We got a light dusting of snow just last night. Snow in March? Just doesn't seem right. :)