Saturday, March 25, 2006

1 Down 3 To Go

Today was the NATS adjudication. My friend Rhonda and I left at 6 a.m. to get to Fort Worth Baptist Theological Seminary by 7:30 a.m. to warm up before our 8:30 a.m. adjudications. Needless to say, it's been an early/long day.

Singing itself went very well. I was in fine voice (yeah), as was Rhonda. Surprisingly, we each sang all four of our prepared pieces. The three judges were very nice and complimentary. One of the judges actually approached us in the hallway afterward to thank us for singing for her and to tell us how much she enjoyed hearing us. She also asked why we were in the adult, comments-only division rather than the actual competition. It was nice to have such glowing remarks from a member of the judging panel.

The panel itself was interesting. We had that nice lady and then two men. The lady spent more time listening to each piece than she did writing comments. She was very supportive--smiled a lot during the pieces, just made you feel comfortable singing in front of her. One of the men was older, probably a retired professor. He spent most of each piece writing rather than watching. I think he will likely give the most technical comments. He was most impressed with my Bester J√ľngling, so I'm anxious to read his comments on that piece in particular. The third panel member was a man in his mid-40s. He was likewise encouraging like the lady but also wrote lots of comments.

All in all, it was a terrific experience, and I think I'll learn a lot from it. I'm anxious to see what needs polishing before my next three auditions. More on Tuesday after I pick up my comments from Janette.

No comments: