Friday, February 10, 2006

Consider Earplugs

The cold weather really comes at an opportune time as I have lots to do at home this weekend. Namely, I have several big auditions coming up and really need to dig into my pieces. Having whooping cough (a/k/a pertussis) has really put me off kilter, not to mention off schedule. (If you haven't had a DPT since childhood, consider getting an adult booster!!) I finally got rid of the cough this month (mind you, I've been sick since mid-November!). For those of you who aren't singers, having a cough is the kiss of death for us. Obviously, a cough is disruptive. Beyond that, a cough fatigues the entire breathing mechanism and can lead to permanent vocal damage. For a coloratura, it slows everything down. All of the progress I had made with agility and runs over the summer and fall has basically been for naught as I'm virtually back where I started. It's frustrating to work so hard and have to begin again. But I digress.

For the first time ever, I'm going to be adjudicated at
NATS. I've been taking voice for 3.5 yrs now, and Janette feels that I'm finally ready to be professionally critiqued. I will sing four prepared pieces before a panel of professional singers/teachers of singing. There are four category requirements: opera, musical theatre, contemporary art song, and foreign language. I am able to use two songs already in my repertoire (Bester J√ľngling from Der Schauspieldirektor and Out of My Dreams from Oklahoma!); they simply need polishing. I have to learn two new pieces for the remaining categories (I Love All Graceful Things by Thiman and St√§ndchen by Brahms). Adjudication is in six weeks. So I have to perfect my German and get the technical parts polished. I have time if I actually practice between lessons.

Aside from that, I have to continue working my Dallas Opera audition pieces (The Silver Aria from The Ballad of Baby Doe and Batti, Batti from Don Giovanni) and the pieces I hope to use for both the Garland Summer Musicals and WaterTower Theatre auditions (That'll Show Him from A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum and Out of My Dreams). No postings have been made for Dallas Opera (chorus) or WaterTower (for their production of Sondheim's Into the Woods), but Garland (Kiss Me, Kate) auditions are set for early April. No matter, I can't get tunnel vision on NATS and leave these pieces unworked.

Long story short, lots of strange noises will be heard by passers by. So, if you think my summer rehearsing demanded earplugs even across the street, you ain't heard nothin' yet!!!

1 comment:

Ruth Rachel Vendsel said...

Sus,
I am really impressed with how far you've come in voice. You have shown incredible dedication and talent - I know my mom is really proud of you, too!

Rachel