Friday, February 24, 2006

And Then There Was None

I decided to email my physical therapist about my recently-discovered vocal issues and heard back from him today. Though this kind of issue does technically fall under the umbrella of physical therapy, he thought I would be better served by a speech therapist. "The good ones actually do more than just teach you how to talk again and will work on strengthening the chestwall musculature to help you with singing and speech."

Just so happens, I have a very dear friend who is a speech pathologist at Children's Hospital in Dallas. She and I talked about the problem. She said I should call my ENT (Ear-Nose-Throat dr) immediately and schedule an appointment. He can run tests to determine the root of the issue. The problem may or may not require speech therapy, but she gave me a name in case it did. She also strongly suggested I go on vocal rest until there is a firm diagnosis in order to avoid permanent damage to the vocal cords. Since she has not seen an adult patient in more than four years, she did not feel comfortable giving me any more advice than this.

So I have an appointment with my ENT (in this case, my allergist) scheduled for March 2nd. In the meantime, the only singing I will be doing will be at home to keep the cords flexible, while all other rehearsing will have to wait until the outcome of the appt.

4 comments:

Ruth Rachel Vendsel said...

Sus,
I really hope you are able to get these issues resolved - I'll pray for you, and keep us posted in the meantime.

Love,
Rachel

Susan said...

I did get a bit of encouragement today from my voice teacher (and have just made a small edit to the entry). She said there is NO evidence of vocal damage and to keep rehearsing at home to keep the cords flexible. So that is good news. I am going to cease all other singing, just to be on the safe side. I certainly covet your prayers in the meantime and will keep you posted on the outcome.

Ruth Rachel Vendsel said...

Well that is good news -- I'll be praying!

Mara said...

You'll be in my thoughts and prayers Sus!!